Monday, May 15, 2006

What Does She Have That I Don't?

While in college, I worked part-time in a Hit or Miss. It was a women's retail clothing store. One of the assistant managers, at the store, was one of those rare people who leave a mark on you forever. I never got to know her really well, but she radiated something...had something...that I wanted. I just didn't know what it was. After talking to her, I always felt good. She wasn't one of those bubbly, outgoing, smiley kind of people...instead, she was quiet, graceful, unassuming.

After leaving that job and moving on, I often thought about her. Over time, it came to me that what she had exuded was peace and joy. That same peace and joy reached out and wrapped itself around those in her vicinity. I missed that feeling. I wanted peace and joy.

Many years have passed since then. Busy years. Years filled with living and all that it entails. Throughout those years I have had flickering, fleeting, awesome moments of being filled with peace and joy. But, it is not a constant state. How I treasure those special moments...

I still often think back to that assistant manager of long ago. I realize now how rare such an individual is. And, I have been lucky (or blessed) enough to have found another person who radiates that same joy and peace. The only difference is that he does it through song...Clay Aiken.


Technorati Tags:








2 Comments:

At 5:10 AM, Blogger The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

People like that are very special and when they touch our lives, even in small ways, it stays with us forever. My mother passed away a number of years ago - but she always had that special light. Everyone used to remark about how her eyes always sparkled. She was genuinely interested in other people. It's a special gift.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Allegra said...

Clay certainly has that special something that draws people in. We are lucky to have found him. I know he always gives me a sense of joy and happiness and yes, even peace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home