Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Cooking for Comfort

I.love.to.cook. I also love to eat. But, I hate to clean. Unlike my mom, who used to love to do it all. With Mother's Day just passing by, I've been thinking of my mom a lot. She died at the age of 53, almost 21 years ago. My mom was a fantastic cook. She wasn't a gourmet cook, but she made the best food...comfort food. When I think of her...food is the first thing that comes to my mind. She grew up in a German household, but married an Italian. For ever after, she considered herself "Italian by injection". And, let me tell you, she cooked like an Italian. Large quantities were mandatory...it didn't matter that it was just me and her (my parents divorced when I was 8). Every night we had a full course meal, even though she worked full time cleaning other people's homes. And the holidays! YUM. We had numerous courses. The majority of her day was spent at the stove. As I got older, I used to tell her to cook less and enjoy her holiday company more. But, she loved to serve and to make others enjoy. I'm thankful that I got my love for cooking from her. Like her, I'm not much one for cookbooks. I prefer trial and error. I like the challenge of inventing something new. But, unlike her, my generosity knows it's bounds. She was far more selfless than I. While I do tend to overcook on the holidays, I also know where to draw the line and make sure that I enjoy too. I miss her...her comfort... her food...neither is something that can be replicated.
Technorati Tags:







2 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Allegra said...

Your mom sounds a lot like my mom. I miss her most on the holidays. She made every one of them special even if there were never more than 5 people at the table since we had no family in the US. I love to cook too, but with my family's crazy schedule I do it more sporadically these days.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger TheClayBlog said...

HUGS. Thanks for the post. My Dad died 4 1/2 years ago, and just talking about him always makes me feel better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home