Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Like Mother, Like Daughter?

My mom's favorite singer was Frank Sinatra. She loved him. Although I was born in the 1960's, my mom wasn't into 60's music...no Beatles for her. She listened to Frank, so he was the music of my childhood.

One of her favorite stories to tell was about her first Frank concert. It was a few years before my birth, she and my dad were separated. My mom was dating and her boyfriend surprised her one night with tickets to see Frank Sinatra. At the time, my mom lived in Boston...the concert was in New Jersey! My mom was so excited that her boyfriend would do something so spontaneous like that, my dad would never have. They drove all day to reach the concert and had a fabulous time.

Years later, when I was around 20, I found out that Frank was coming to Boston in concert again. He was much older by this time and his voice was not what it once was. But he still put on an amazing show. He chatted with the audience, so at ease and comfortable, and his voice still sounded lovely. We had great seats that night. I had purchased the tickets for my mom as a gift and it was wonderful to share that night with her. She was so happy to see "her man".

I wish she was still alive today, because I would have liked to share "my man", Clay Aiken, with her. She would have loved Clay...his voice, his personality, his charm. I remember that spontaneous trip that my mom took to see Frank and make sure that when it comes to Clay, spontaneity rules the day! I have made several trips to see him in concert and it has been worth every penny and every moment.

Here are a couple of videos of "her man" and "my man". Two incredible voices, two different eras, but both memory makers...

Frank Sinatra singing "Old Man River"...




Clay Aiken singing "Emmanuel"...
Technorati Tags:

3 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger Allegra said...

It's nice to see that through the generations that fandoms have not really changed that much. I'm glad you got to share Frank with your mom. I'm sure it meant a lot to her. I couldn't share Clay with mine either because she was already sick when AI2 started. I think she would have liked him.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger marhaven said...

I'm lucky that I am old enough to have been a fan of Frank Sinatra and young enough to be a fan of Clay Aiken. I did see Frank once in concert, he only sang a few songs and I was in the nosebleed section, but it was wonderful to be in the same room with him.

When we first got tv they used to play old movies a lot and that's how I fell for not only Frank Sinatra's voice, but for Gene Kelly's dancing. Sigh.

As Bob Hope would say, "Thanks for the Memories"

Cindy

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

I lost my mother in 1998. She would have loved Clay and I wish I could have shared him with her. She always had an eye for a special man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home