Thursday, June 01, 2006

Worth the Risk...

I've never been a risk taker...not physically or financially. I'm a chicken. I would never jump out of a plane, go bungee jumping, or scuba diving. What little money I have is invested in safe (as in "so little interest it's barely there") mutual funds. I would never desire to own my own business, I'd rather someone else pay me and take care of my benefits. I sometimes envy those who are willing to take risks. I do feel that to achieve a lot or to live life to the fullest...risk-taking is necessary. But, I guess I'm content to be a middle achiever and live life enough, while staying "safe".

My 11 year old son went on vacation this week with his best friend. During the vacation, my son went parasailing. When he called me on the phone to tell me he "did something really special", I held my breath. When I found out that he had been floating 400 feet above the ocean, all I could think of was "thank God he didn't tell me until it was over". I surely would have said "no". From the sound of his voice, I can tell it was an experience he will always remember. I'm glad he'll have that memory. My 13 year old daughter is a gymnast. She does things on the beam and bars that send chills through me at the mere thought of duplicating the process. Heck, I could never even do a cartwheel... She soldiers on, even when afraid. She is a "do-er", ready to try most anything. No amusement ride has ever gotten the best of my kids *g*. I hope they continue to take risks, to achieve, IF that continues to make them happy. Otherwise, they can be like me, satisified to just "be", that'll work too.

I'll be watching those risk takers from my safe little corner of the couch...confident that all of their dreams will come true.

Technorati Tags:

7 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger TheClayBlog said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any idea how risky it is to travel around going to concerts meeting strangers? Opening up on the Internet? Blogging your childhood stories?

There are so many kinds of risks... methinks you're far more risky (risky, not risque! ;) ) than you give yourself credit for.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger ladyjocelyn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our children, the risk takers, mine too. Like you, I've always played it safe, but I do agree, no guts, no glory! My 18 year old son, who has never ventured far from home, has a job on a cruise ship thip this summer. I guess I should be worried, but I'm not. If he's OK, then, I'm OK. I envy him, really. Here's to the Risk Takers!
You are very, very good at expressing your feelings. I envy you. You are a risk taker!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home